TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. It measures the ability of non-native speakers of English to students utilise their skills of reading, listening, speaking and writing and is one of the most widely respected and recognised English-language tests in the world.
Most people who take the TOEFL are planning to study at a university or college where English is the medium of instruction. However, the test is also used by immigration departments to issue residential and work visas, medical and licensing agencies for professional certification purposes, apart from individuals who simply want to assess their understanding of, and proficiency in, the English language.
For students planning to study abroad, TOEFL helps prove that they have the English skills that will actually be needed in an academic classroom. The test is composed of 100% academic tasks and questions. Therefore, many universities and colleges worldwide consider it to be one of the most appropriate tests of English while deciding on admissions.
Preparation is key to getting a good TOEFL score. Investing time and effort in preparing for the exam is a critical element in the test taking strategy. USHASHREE Foundation offers quality TOEFL coaching that ensures students get the best possible preparation. Here are just a few reasons why students should choose to prepare for the TOEFL with USHASHREE Foundation:
- One of the best test preparation center with many years of experience in assisting students make informed decisions about their future and guiding them about their education options overseas.
- Experienced, qualified and professional faculty is the strength whose subject knowledge and teaching practices continue to be amongst the best in the industry.
- Thorough understanding of university entry requirements and admission processes we give upmost time and attention for our student to achieved their desired test scores.
- Flexible and convenient schedules that suit students’ needs and requirements with small batch sizes that allows for personalized attention to ensure that every individual establishes realistic goals for score improvement, understands the key test concepts and is given comprehensive guidance on effective test taking strategies.
TOEFL is administered online from where it gets its name – TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test). The test is of four and a half hours duration and consists of a variety of reading, listening, speaking and writing tasks.
During the test, students will be expected to demonstrate their ability to combine all four skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing tasks. For instance, students may be asked to:
- Read, listen and then write in response to a question
- Read, listen and then speak in response to a question
- Listen and then speak in response to a question
Structure of the TOEFL iBT
|Reading||60 – 80 minutes||36 – 56 questions||Read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer questions.|
|Listening||60 – 90 minutes||34 – 51 questions||Listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions.|
|Speaking||20 minutes||6 tasks||Express an opinion on a familiar topic; speak based on reading and listening tasks.|
|Writing||50 minutes||2 tasks||Write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; support an opinion in writing.|
TOEFL iBT Score Scales
Each of the four TOEFL sections (Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing) are scored out of 30. The composite (or overall) TOEFL score will range from 0 to 120 and is calculated by combining the TOEFL scores on each of the four sections.
|Reading||0 – 30||High (22-30) Intermediate (15-21) Low (0-14)|
|Listening||0 – 30||High (22 – 30) Intermediate (15 – 21) Low (0 – 14)|
|Speaking||0 – 30||
Good (26 – 30) Fair (18 – 25) Limited (10 – 17) Weak (0 – 9)
|Writing||0 – 30||
Good (24 – 30) Fair (17 – 23) Limited (1 – 16)
Fees and Costs
The cost to take the TOEFL is US $165.
In addition to the cost of taking the TOEFL other charges may apply in certain circumstances:
- For late registration an additional charge of US$35 will apply
- For rescheduling a charge of US$60 will apply
- To reinstate a cancelled score costs US$20
The TOEFL exam fee is subject to change without notice. The above amounts are exclusive of the Value Added or similar taxes. Those taxes are payable in addition to the amount quoted.
Q: When should I start TOEFL preparation?
A: Ideally, a student should start preparing at least 8 to 10 weeks prior to taking the test.
Q: Will score recipients accept TOEFL scores from previous tests?
A: The policy of recipients for such matters may vary hence, it is better to check with the recipients directly. However, USHASHREE Foundation counsellors may also the able to advise students on such matters.
Q: How long are TOEFL scores valid?
A: TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years.
Q: Do TOEFL and GRE® tests have cumulative scoring?
A: TOEFL score reports include scores for only the last test taken. However, GRE lets test takers decide which GRE scores from their five-year reportable history to send to institutions. Scores for a test administration must be reported in their entirety.
Q: Can I order additional TOEFL official score reports?
A: Yes, you can order additional score reports after your scores are available online, approximately 10 days after your test date.
Q: Where can I get more information about the TOEFL?
A: Please fill in the enquiry form available on the webpage and we get back to you at the earliest. Alternatively, you may walk into USHASHREE Foundation office or give us a call to get more information. Detail of our office is listed on the ‘Contact Us’ page of the website. Our counsellors or faculty will be happy to assist with any TOEFL queries.